Financial & Citizenship Verification


Verify U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status

The Cooperman College Scholars writing book reports program is only able to admit students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. We ask that applicants upload a photocopy of one of the following documents to their application:

  • The student’s birth certificate showing that he or she was born in the United States, which includes Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swain’s Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
  • A U.S. passport, current or expired
  • A copy of U.S. State Department Form FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad), FS- 545 (Certificate of birth issued by a foreign service post), or DS- 1350 (Certification of Report of
  • A Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561), issued by USCIS to individuals who derive U.S.citizenship through a parent.
  • A Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570), issued by USCIS through a federal or state court, or through administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those who are individually naturalized.
  • Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, aka Green Card).
  • Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) with appropriate endorsements.

Verify Household Financial Status

The Cooperman College Scholars program evaluates each student’s financial situation to determine eligibility for the scholarship.

    • The Cooperman College Scholars program evaluates each student’s financial situation to determine eligibility for the scholarship. Prospective students must live in a household whose annual gross income does not exceed 250% of the federal poverty guideline. Please refer to the chart below to see if your family meets the criteria:
Family Size Gross Yearly Income Gross Monthly Income Gross Hourly Income
1 $29,700 $2,475 $14.47
2 $40,050 $3,338 $19.52
3 $50,400 $4,200 $24.56
4 $60,750 $5,063 $29.61
      For each additional member of the family, please add $10,400 to the Gross Yearly Income. Source: US Department of Health and Human Services – 2016 Federal Poverty Guideline (x 250%)
  • Applicants should provide a 2016 tax return (Form 1040/1040EZ/1040A) from both biological parent(s) regardless of whether they currently live in the same household. Please include all pages of your tax return, including Schedule C and E (if applicable).
  • If parents are married AND filed a joint tax return, one Form 1040/1040EZ/1040A is sufficient.  
  • If parent is remarried, report biological parent and stepparent income.
  • Please DO NOT submit tax form of grandparents, foster parents, siblings, uncles, aunts or anyone else unless they have legally adopted the student.
  • Applicants not currently in contact with one or both of their biological parents, and therefore unable to access their financial documentation, can email for additional guidance.

If your parent(s) do not file a tax return, please complete an Income Verification Form for Non-Filers.  This form is necessary only for students who are not submitting a tax return.

Download full Selection Criteria and Eligibility Guidelines

Tell me more

Send me more information on the Cooperman College Scholars program and remind me when the application is available.

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message